Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Reflecting on Reflective Thinking

From my textbook reading today in Web 2.0 New Tools, New Schools I ran across a quote from David Tosh who developed the Elgg program in 2004, an e-portfolio system (see http://www.elgg.org/). The reading states that "this tool was designed to promote reflective thinking, allow users to select artifacts important to them, promote social connections, and focus on the process of learning rather than the end products."

I have been thinking alot this week about the value of reflective thinking. As a counselor I use reflective listening techniques in working with students to help them solve their own problems and overcome challenges and barriers to their academic success. I have come to see how using our class discussion board, writing on our blogs and wikis, and completing our group and individual reflection assignments enhances our learning process. From my own personal experience, since I began participating in social networking sites and blogging, my own reflective thinking skills have increased tremendously. Before I began this course, Teaching with Technology, I don't think I had a true appreciation or understood the importance and value of the skill of reflective thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment