Monday, March 1, 2010

So Long Insecurity by Beth Moore

Here is an excerpt from chapter one of Beth Moore's newest book that really hit home with me this week. The first chapter is entitled "Mad Enough to Change".

"Life is too hard and the world too mean for many of us to grasp a lofty sense of acceptance, approval, and affirmation early on and keep hold of it the rest of our lives ... come what may.  Circumstances abruptly change, and setbacks happen.  Relationships unexpectedly end. Or, just as cataclysmically, begin. Schools change. Friends change. Jobs change. Offenses happen. Betrayals happen. Tragedies happen.  Engagements end. Marriages begin. Kids come. Kids go. Health wanes. Seasons change. An old situation creeping up in a new season of our life can be more complicated than ever.  We can think we've murdered that monster once and for all, and then it rises from the dead and it has grown another head.

As if the battle isn't hard enough, we sabotage ourselves, submerging ourselves with self-condemnation like a submarine filling with water.  How often do we think to ourselves, I should be handling this better? So is it okay to ask why we're not?"

"To be honest, I don't know whether you and I are at a common place right now.  I just have a hunch.  See if this sounds like something that could erupt from your own pen: I'm sick to death of insecurity.  It's been a terrible companion.  A very bad friend.  It promised to always think of me first and meticulously look out for my best interests.  It vowed to stay focuses on me and help me not get hurt or forgotten.  Instead, insecurity invaded every part of my life, betrayed me, and sold me out more times than I can count.  It's time I got healthy enough emotionally to choose my lifelong companions better.  This one needs to get dumped."

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear), but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control."  2 Timothy 1:7 Amplified Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment