Sunday, July 31, 2011

On the Passing of Uncle Cecil Comer ....

The following article was written by and is posted with permission from my husband, Jack Comer Jr. ..... 

I had an uncle that passed away last week. He was my dad’s oldest brother and up to this point, was the “oldest living Comer.” He was a very devoted Christian, having served faithfully in several areas at the Bethel Baptist Church in Houston. But what I remembered most about Uncle Cecil, is that he was a POW during WWII. In fact, he was imprisoned at one of the most notorious German prison camps, Stalag 17.

Now my uncle didn’t talk much about his days as a POW, but I remember as a teen reading the letters that he sent to my grandparents. Most of them had information that was cut out, so you would be reading a letter that had several holes in it. One of the comments that I remember was how Cecil looked forward to the Red Cross packages that were sent. These packages included items like canned tuna, cheese, dehydrated milk, cigarettes, chocolate, liver paste and raisins. Now they were suppose to be receiving these packages every week, but according to sources the enemy would take these care packages and use them for themselves.

I share this story to you because I think it illustrates what is happening today. People today are in a prison. There is so much hopelessness and despair. And it is only through the red blood-stained cross that freedom can be found. As Christians we are the ones that are delivering a message of hope. But often the enemy steals the message before it even arrives. So we need to keep sending the message. Keep preaching the gospel. Keep ministering to people in need. Keep offering Christ to a dying world. With the understanding that one day, it will make a significant difference in one’s life.

Thanks uncle C. for serving our country! You and others like you, are already missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment